Everything We Know About The Tory Lanez And Megan Thee Stallion Trial
Lanez is facing several charges for the alleged 2020 shooting of Grammy-award-winner, Megan Thee Stallion.
Tory Lanez has been released from house arrest. On Dec. 5, Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge David Herriford issued the ruling as jury selection for the rapper’s felony assault case began.
Lanez is facing several charges for the alleged 2020 shooting of Grammy-award-winner, Megan Thee Stallion. On Monday, before bringing in the first round of prospective jurors, Judge David Herriford explained his decision to release the Canadian Hip-Hop star.
“I will terminate the house arrest at this point. The main reason is that during trial, it’s difficult to have a client who’s not accessible,” he said according to Rolling Stone. “I’m doing this mainly for the trial preparation aspect.” Bond for Lanez, whose real name is Daystar Peterson, has been set for $350,000.
Megan’s lawyer, Deputy District Attorney Kathy Ta, objected to the court’s decision. She argued that Lanez “allegedly tried to “sway” and “intimidate” witnesses previously in the case.” Ta said that some of the witnesses may “fear” being “in reach of ” the rapper once testimonies begin. She requested that Lanez keep his ankle monitor on during the trial, but the judge dismissed her request.
Tory Lanez reportedly violated his protective order against Megan Thee Stallion
Multiple media outlets reported that Lanez, 30, sat in silence as pre-trial motions began during Monday’s court session. Back in October, Judge Herriford placed the star on house arrest after news of his assault involving R&B singer August Alsina surfaced in September. At the time, court officials said Lanez was “a danger to society” and that he had a history of “defying court orders,” according to CBS Los Angeles.
Prosecutors based their decision on Lanez’s repeated violation of Megan Thee Stallion’s protective order.
Under the terms of the order, Lanez was prohibited from contacting or coming within 100 yards of the Houston femcee. In August, the rapper’s bail was increased after he performed at the same festival as Megan Thee Stallion. He also violated the order when he shared several tweets criticizing the rapper and the investigation online.
As previously reported, Tory Lanez is facing several hefty charges stemming from his alleged shooting of Megan Thee Stallion in July 2020. During Meg’s emotional interview on GMA in August, the rapper said that Lanez got into a dispute with two unidentified subjects after they left a party at Kylie Jenner’s house in the Hollywood Hills.