MARTIN LAWRENCE QUIT ‘MARTIN’ SERIES OVER TISHA CAMPBELL’S ‘BULLSH*T’ SEXUAL HARASSMENT LAWSUIT

*Martin Lawrence is speaking out about the sexual harassment lawsuit that his former co-star Tisha Campbell hit him with back in the day, and how it led him to leave his hit comedy series, “Martin.”

The sitcom aired for five seasons on Fox from August 27, 1992, to May 1, 1997 and was one of the network’s highest-rated shows during its run. Campbell played Martin’s girlfriend on the series and Tichina Arnold played her bestie, Pam. As noted by the jasminebrand.com, the trio reunited for the first time in two decades in 2018, after Campbell’s controversial lawsuit against him.

The 1997 lawsuit detailed the alleged “obsessive” physical and emotional abuse she endured at the hands of Martin including “repeated and escalating sexual harassment, sexual battery and violent threats.”

Lawrence denied all the allegations.

In his latest interview with GQ, he hints at the reason behind him walking away from the show. 

Here’s an excerpt from the interview:

“GQ: You did the show for five seasons, right? How come it ended?

Martin Lawrence: Well, how can I say this? It just was time to end. Let’s just put it that way. It was just, at that time, there was some, um, there were some things that was being said that—

GQ: You’re talking about Tisha Campbell’s lawsuit?

Martin: Yeah. Yeah.”

“GQ: I saw that you guys had been spending time together recently.

Martin: Yeah. Because none of that was true. It was all a lot of bullsh*t and—

GQ: What was bullsh*t?

Martin: Just whoever’s side it was, it was bullsh*t.

GQ: Did you guys ever talk about it?

Martin: We don’t need to talk about something that just didn’t happen. So I just decided to walk away from the show. I just decided to end it. People said that I got canceled, but that wasn’t the case. I decided to just leave the show.”

“I love Tisha. I’ve seen her then and now, now and then, always with nothing but love. I have nothing but love for her, and I always have.”

Elsewhere in the interview, Martin also explained why it took so long for a new “Bad Boys” pic to drop. 

“The script wasn’t right,” he  explained. “And Will, to his credit, refused to do the movie until the script was right. It wouldn’t have been a good movie. We didn’t want that. We wanted to do a sequel where people would go, “Oh, man, that’s what I’m talking about. It just gets better.””

When the interviewer brings up Martin’s infamous public breakdown on the streets of Los Angeles, he explained, “Well, there’s no need to relive the past, but I was young and I made, uh, some irresponsible choices and, you know, carrying a gun when I shouldn’t have been carrying a gun. And just getting into things that I shouldn’t have gotten in.”

“Bad Boys for Life,” the third installment of the franchise co-starring Will Smith, drops later this month. Martin will also kick off his stand-up comedy tour January 31, called the Lit as F*ck Tour.

“It’s where I take out the young superstar comics of tomorrow and take them to arenas and let the crowd see them do their thing, and we just have a great time.”

News Reporter

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *